Public Records Requests
Public Records Requests
In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, public records requests are conducted under the provisions of Chapter 121 of the Acts of 2016 (An Act to Improve Public Records), which took effect on January 1, 2017. For details on the law and the process for requesting public records in Massachusetts, please click here.
Under the public records statute, each municipality designates a Records Access Officer (RAO), who is responsible for receiving, tracking, and responding to public records requests. The following individual serves as the Records Access Officer for the City of North Adams:
City of North Adams
10 Main Street
North Adams, MA 01247
(413) 662-3000 x3245
Submitting a request
Any person may make a public records request:
- By e-mail to the RAO at PublicInfoReq@northadams-ma.gov.
- By first class mail addressed to the Records Access Officer, City of North Adams, City Hall, 10 Main Street, North Adams, MA 01247.
- In person at North Adams City Hall, 10 Main Street, North Adams, MA 01247.
To ensure that the records officer processes requests as efficiently as possible, please include the following information in the request:
- Requester’s name, address, email address and telephone number (not required for in-person requests).
- A reasonable description of the record(s) sought, containing specific dates and supporting information which will allow the Records Access Officer and other city staff to identify and locate the record(s).
Processing and responding to requests
Upon receipt of a public records request, the Records Officer will:
- Provide an initial response acknowledging receipt of the request within ten (10) business days (not including Saturdays, Sundays, and legal holidays). In the initial response, the Records Access Officer will approve or deny the request (detailing any reason(s) for denial), and will provide the timeframe and estimated cost for completing the request.
- The City has up to twenty-five (25) business days from the date of the initial request to provide the requested records. If, due to the scope of the request, the need for redactions, or other complications, the Records Access Officer believes the City will not be able to provide a complete response within that time frame, they may ask the requester for an extension of time to comply or petition the Commonwealth’s Supervisor of Public Records for additional time.
Fees for processing records requests
The City of North Adams may assess a reasonable fee for the production of public records. Allowable charges include, but are not limited to:
- Five cents ($0.05) per page of black and white printouts or copies.
- The actual cost for duplication of records not susceptible to ordinary means of reproduction, such as color copies and large format plans.
- A maximum of $25 per hour for employee time needed to identify, locate, and compile the records requested.
- The actual cost for storage devices or materials (e.g., thumb/flash drives).
- Postage fees (where applicable).
Some records maintained by the City are exempt from disclosure. If such records are requested, the Records Access Officer will deny the request and will notify the requestor of the reason(s) for the denial. Categories of exempt records include, but are not limited to, student records; certain vital records; criminal record information; personnel or medical files; records that would constitute an unwarranted invasion of personal privacy; certain investigatory law enforcement materials; or proposals and bids prior to the award of a contract.
To request copies of birth, death, or marriage certificates, please contact the City Clerk.
To request copies of accident reports or incident reports please contact the North Adams Police Department.